Thursday, July 31, 2008

Antiques Roadshow

About a month ago, Hubby and I got an "exclusive" invitation to go to an Antiques Roadshow pre-party at the Hyatt, hosted by Architectural Digest and Subaru. My mom bought me an Architectural Digest subscription for Christmas and that is how I got invited. So my sister and brother-in-law watched the kids for us and off we went!

When we walked into the party Hubby and I drastically brought down the average age of everyone attending. There were two different groups of girls who were around our age (late twenties/early to mid thirties), most who were in their 40s and 50s, and then quite a few who were in their 70s. But Hubby and I had a great time. They had great food! Three or four tables of hors d'oeuvres--cheese and fruit at one, tapas at another--and then servers who walked around with yummy stuff as well. So Hubby and I each got a drink and got to business eating. It should have been embarrassing, eating so much, but really, who were we there to impress? The food was delicious!

Then I had my chance: Mark L. Walberg, the host of AR, was close by! He seemed very nice, walking around and introducing himself to groups of people, then chatting for a bit. So when he was by himself I walked up and asked if I could have a picture with him:



After the picture, when Hubby and I were about to walk away, he started making conversation with us. It totally threw us. I didn't want to talk to him, just get a picture! I mean, small talk is difficult, and I was sure that he had lots of other people to talk to. But we did learn that AR only has one of these fancy pre-parties per season and Wichita was the lucky city to get it. Lucky us! Really I wanted to ask him if he liked the viewers of Antiques Roadshow better than the viewers of "Moment of Truth" and "Temptation Island," but really, that would have been tacky.

Then they started telling us that the "presentation" was going to begin soon so we should make our way into another room. That's when Hubby and I ditched. We didn't want to be sold any Subarus.

No comments: